For my birthday, Michael took me to a really nice restaurant to celebrate! After we ordered we were presented with bread and were told it was for the chef's amusement. It was so good!! I decided that for my amusement I could recreate it at home and am so glad that I did . I have made it several times already and it is a big hit. I halved the recipe below.
English Muffin Bread
Printer friendly recipe
Source Cooks Recipes
1/2 cup cornmeal
6 cups of all-purpose or bread flower (I used all purpose)
2 (1/4 ounce) packages of active dry yeast or 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
1. Grease two loaf pans. Sprinkle with cornmeal, distribute to evenly coat. Discard any excess.
2. In a bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda.
3. In a saucepan, heat milk and water until very warm. Stir into the dry ingredients, adding up to 3 cups flour until a stiff batter is formed. Pour into the prepared pans.
4. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
Makes 2 loaves.